This information is regarding auditions for the adult ensemble only. Those interested in auditioning for the EWS Youth Band, please see the Youth Band audition page.
The Eastern Wind Symphony will be holding annual open auditions for all sections in March/April 2018. However, we will occasionally hold instrument specific auditions during the year. Please supply your contact information at any time during the year and we will contact you when scheduling auditions.
- Four to five rehearsals typically precede a concert.
- Rehearsals are typically held on Saturday mornings from 9:00-12:00 in the central NJ area.
- Concerts primarily fall on Saturday evenings or Sunday afternoons.
Auditions are for both sub spots, which are available in all sections, as well as possible open seats for the season starting each fall.
Review our mission and vision statements. Our attendance policy allows for one missed rehearsal per concert cycle. Missing more than one rehearsal disqualifies a musician from participating in that concert performance. Repeat attendance concerns may lead to removal from the active performer roster. Please note that all sub and seat positions are volunteer, EWS is a non-profit organization and no members are paid for their participation. Requesting an audition represents your acceptance of these guidelines.
To request an audition, please follow the steps below:
1. Complete and submit the audition request form below.
2. Once your request form is submitted, you will be contacted by Personnel Manager Julie Haran no later than the week before the auditions to give you a specific audition time.
3. Audition time slots will be 15 minutes in length. Please prepare 5 to 7 minutes of music to play at the audition. Solos, etudes, and orchestral excerpts are all recommended for this audition. Please choose a fast and technically demanding excerpt and a slow and lyrical excerpt.
A warm-up room will be provided for you prior to the audition. You will be notified via E-mail of the results of your audition.
AUDITION REQUEST FORM
Please fill in your information on this form to be contacted when EWS holds open auditions for the adult group. Auditions will be held annually in the March/April time period. If you fill in this form during the year you will be contacted when auditions are scheduled. Please follow EWS on Facebook and watch the web site for specific audition dates to be posted.
PLEASE NOTE: The EWS is an all volunteer ensemble, no members are paid for their participation. A schedule for the season (Nov. through June) is shared each summer and commitments requested. Rehearsal/performance location is in the central NJ area, and rehearsals for the season are held on Saturday mornings from 9-12. Performances in the summer season are scheduled throughout NJ.
Each musician will audition for our Director of Personnel, one or more EWS conductors, and a section leader or current EWS musician member. Please prepare lyrical and technical selections for the audition. Those who audition will be considered for open seats in their instrument section if available. If a full time member position is not open, successful auditions may be placed on our substitute list. EWS uses the sub list to full sections when a full time member is not available for a performance.