EWS Youth Jazz Band
EWS Youth Jazz Back for Season 2!
The new Eastern Wind Symphony Youth Jazz Band is designed to serve the needs of the area’s most talented young musicians by exploring America’s art form- fostering creativity, artistic expression, and social and emotional intelligence through the study and performance of traditional and progressive jazz literature. Students will have the opportunity to engage in traditional and contemporary repertoire for big bands as well as focus on their combo and improvisation skills. This is a fantastic opportunity to play some of the most exciting music there is with other students from across New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Trumpet, trombone, and saxophone students interested in the EWS Youth Jazz Band must also audition for and participate in the EWS Youth Band. Students who play instruments that are not typically part of EWS Youth Band, such as bass, piano, guitar, and drum set are welcome to audition for only the EWS Youth Jazz Band.
EWS is excited to welcome a new conductor to our family. Ron Heller will join us for the 2019-20 season as director of the newly established EWS Youth Jazz Band. Students in the EWS Youth Jazz Band will also benefit from working with professional clinicians and musicians from the Eastern Wind Symphony.
REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
The EWS Youth Jazz Band schedule is established to ensure it does not interfere with a typical high school band schedule. A major goal of EWS Youth! is to support local school band programs. EWS Youth! members should be able to participate in this group as well as fully commit to their school band programs and other high school activities such as sports, school trips, and co-curricular activities.
The 2021 season schedule will consist of 6-8 outdoor rehearsals on Saturday mornings and early afternoons. Rehearsals will take place at a location TBD in central New Jersey. In addition to the scheduled rehearsals, a calendar of rain dates will provided given all activities will be outdoors. Any schedule changes will be communicated in advance. The “Remind” online app will be used to allow the director to communicate rehearsal reminders to the group through smart phones.
The schedule has been designed to coordinate with the EWS Youth Band schedule to allow for participation in both.
2021 Schedule Information:
Auditions this year will be done through video submission. Please register for an audition on this website by clicking on “Apply Now.” Shortly after completing the application, you will receive an email with upload directions.
All audition videos should be submitted by March 5th, 2021.
Students will be placed based upon audition results.
- Rehearsals will take place on 6-8 Saturdays that will be spread out between the months of April and the end of June.
- Once our outdoor rehearsal facility has been finalized, an exact schedule will be placed here on the website.
- We understand that until you know this exact schedule, you cannot fully commit to the season. Please know that this year is all about flexibility! We will work with students’ schedules as needed to ensure everyone can participate as long as most rehearsals can be attended.
- Each ensemble will rehearse for 45 minutes. Depending upon which ensemble you are placed in, your rehearsal time will be 10:00am, 11:00am, or 12:00pm.
- If you are also in the EWS Youth Band, you will be rehearsing during 2 of those time slots.
- Parents are encouraged to stay and listen to rehearsals since we will be outdoors!
An exact schedule of dates will be posted ASAP.