EWS Youth Band
Welcome to the Eastern Wind Symphony Youth Band (EWS YB). The EWS YB prides itself in performing advanced wind band repertoire at a very high level while engaging students in a rehearsal process that teaches them strong independent musicianship skills and creative thinking. This year, due to COVID-19 safety protocols, EWS YB will function as smaller chamber ensembles in outdoor rehearsal venues, with the possibility of a large ensemble performance if conditions allow. Each ensemble will have 6-8 outdoor rehearsals and give a concert in June.
Some of the wind band literature performed by the ensemble in the past 6 years include:
- Lincolnshire Posy by Percy Grainger
- Moon by Night by Jonathan Newman
- Third Suite for Band by Robert Jaeger
- Give Us This Day by David Maslanka
- Armenian Dances by Alfred Reed
- Symphonic Dances No. 3, Fiesta by Clifton Williams
- One Life Beautiful by Julie Giroux
- Vesuvius by Frank Ticheli
- Theme from Green Bushes by Percy Grainger
- Dusk by Steven Bryant
- Elegy for a Young American by Ronald Lo Presti
- Incantation and Dance by John Barnes Chance
- At Twilight by Tyler S. Grant
Select the links to hear past EWS Youth Band performances of these selections!
EWS Youth Band students have the opportunity to work with many nationally and internationally recognized conductors, clinicians, and performers. Some of the people our students have had the opportunity to personally engage with and learn from include:
- James Keen, University of Illinois, Director of Bands, retired
- Ray Cramer, Indiana University, Director of Bands, retired
- Joe Alessi, New York Philharmonic, principal trombone
- Greg Giannascoli, professional percussionist
- Julie Giroux, internationally in-demand composer
- Jerry Junkin, University of Texas, Director of Bands
REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
The EWS Youth Band schedule is established to ensure it does not interfere with a typical high school band schedule. A major goal of EWS Youth Band is to support local school band programs. EWS Youth Band members should be able to participate in this group as well as fully commit to their school band programs and other high school activities such as sports, school trips, and co-curricular activities.
The 2021 season schedule will consist of 6-8 outdoor rehearsals on Saturday mornings and early afternoons. Rehearsals will take place at a location TBD in central New Jersey. In addition to the scheduled rehearsals, a calendar of rain dates will provided given all activities will be outdoors. Any schedule changes will be communicated in advance. The “Remind” online app will be used to allow the director to communicate rehearsal reminders to the group through smart phones.
The schedule has been designed to coordinate with the EWS Youth Jazz Band schedule to allow for participation in both. Students are highly encouraged to audition for both!
2021 SCHEDULE INFORMATION
Auditions this year will be done through video submission. Please register for an audition on this website by clicking on “Apply Now.” Shortly after completing the application, you will receive an email with upload directions.
All audition videos should be submitted by March 5th, 2021.
Students will be placed into small ensembles based upon audition results. Ensembles will consist of 5-15 students.
- Rehearsals will take place on 6-8 Saturdays that will be spread out between the months of April and the end of June.
- Once our outdoor rehearsal facility has been finalized, an exact schedule will be placed here on the website.
- We understand that until you know this exact schedule, you cannot fully commit to the season. Please know that this year is all about flexibility! We will work with students’ schedules as needed to ensure everyone can participate as long as most rehearsals can be attended.
- Each ensemble will rehearse for 45 minutes. Depending upon which ensemble you are placed in, your rehearsal time will be 10:00am, 11:00am, or 12:00pm.
- If you are also in the EWS Youth Jazz Band, you will be rehearsing during 2 of those time slots.
- Parents are encouraged to stay and listen to rehearsals since we will be outdoors!
An exact schedule of dates will be posted ASAP.
WORK WITH WORLD CLASS MUSICIANS!
Use these links to listen to recordings of the EWS Youth Band rehearsing with world class conductors and musicians.
Ray Cramer EWSYB rehearsal 1
The EWS Youth Band in rehearsal with Ray Cramer!! Professor Cramer is the retired director of bands from Indiana University, Bloomington. He is one of the world’s most sought after conductors and EWS was honored to have him working with the Youth Band students!
EWSYB Rehearsal – Ray Cramer 2
Another clip of Ray Cramer rehearsing EWS Youth Band at Richardson Auditorium. It was an honor to have him work with both the Youth Band students and the Eastern Wind Symphony.
EWSYB James Keene Rehearsal 1
It is a goal to expose the Youth Band students to some of the finest and most important artists in the wind band world. In addition to Ray Cramer, the students had the chance to work with James Keene, the retired director of bands from the University of Illinois. Here is a clip of Professor Keene working with the students on Grainger’s Lincolnshire Posy.
EWSYB Rehearsal – James Keene 2
Here is another clip of the EWS Youth Band students working with Professor Keene.