EWS Youth! Auditions
EWS Youth! Band MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA
Auditions are open to any students who meet the following criteria:
- Students who will be in grades 8 through 12 or college freshmen during the 2023 – 2024 school year.
- Students who play wind instruments, percussion instruments, or string bass.
- Students must be in good standing with their school band program and receive the endorsement of their school band teacher (or private teacher if the school does not have a band program)
Auditions for the 2024 season will be conducted via video uploads. Sign up for your virtual audition by clicking the button below by December 1, 2023. Directions for uploading audition videos will be sent once registered.
TUITION AND FEES
The tuition and audition fee for the 2024 season will be a total of $325. This should be paid only after acceptance to the band. Tuition payments are accepted by cash, check (made out to Eastern Wind Symphony), or through Venmo (@ews-2021). There will be a $6.50 convenience fee for all payments processed through Venmo.
- For all returning EWS Youth! Band members, we want you to help us recruit new musicians!
- Invite your friends to audition for the EWS Youth! Band. For each new person who auditions, is accepted into the band, and lists a current member as their referral (prior to or at the time of audition), that current member will gain a $20 tuition discount for this season.
- Each new applicant can only list one current member as a referral. Current members can receive multiple referral discounts, up to the total 2022 tuition amount.
EWS Youth! Band Audition Requirements
Woodwind and Brass Auditions: Please prepare the following for a video audition submission on a wind instrument for the EWS Youth! Band. You should submit a total of one (1) video per instrument you are auditioning on that contains all of the following, performed to the best of your ability. Please review your video before submitting to ensure that all components can be heard clearly in the video. Students may audition on more than one instrument but will only be accepted to play one instrument for the season.
- At the start of the video, state clearly your full name and the instrument you are auditioning on. For each requirement listed below, be sure to state what you are about to play on video before continuing:
- Select 2 excerpts of your choice that have contrasting styles. Excerpts should demonstrate your technical proficiency as well as your musicianship. Each excerpt should be about 30 seconds – 1 minute in length.
- Perform 1 flat major scale and 1 sharp major scale of your choice. Please choose scales that demonstrate your ability level. Scales should be performed at a tempo that demonstrates your technical ability.
- Perform a chromatic scale of your choice. Please demonstrate your range on the instrument.
Percussion Auditions: Please prepare the following for a video audition submission on a 2 or more percussions instruments (snare drum, mallets, and/or timpani) for the EWS Youth! Band. You should play an excerpt of your choice that is approximately 1 minute in length on each instrument. You should submit a total of one (1) video per instrument you are auditioning on that contains all of the following, performed to the best of your ability. Please review your videos before submitting to ensure that all components can be heard clearly in the video. At the start of the video, state clearly your full name and the instrument you are auditioning on. Also state the name of the excerpt(s) you will be playing in the video.